Responsible to: Technical Director
Line Manager: Head of Development
As a Support engineer you are central to the delivery of excellent service to our external customer base and internal team members. You will investigate and resolve both reported and proactively identified defects in systems using the tools available, communicate with stakeholders and escalate in line with process and SLAs as required.
Our business has ecommerce at it’s core, so outages, delays and oversights will have a financial impact. You are commercially aware, capable of rational thought under pressure and know when to ask for help, a second opinion or sign off from the senior business team. Following up on incidents by suggesting/implementing proactive monitoring, systems changes and working with our various partners is key to the success of this function.
Main duties of the post:
- Effectively manage incoming incidents from first contact through resolution by utilising appropriate tools, knowledge and analytical skills.
- Use automated tools to monitor the health of multiple environments.
- Coordinate resource, document issues, and report to management during system outages.
- Handle inbound calls and emails
Log calls in our support system (JIRA) and create tickets for development work if required.
- Ensure sufficient information is recorded for escalation, reporting and management.
- Communicate with stakeholders, both internal and external, at all levels of seniority and technical skillset.
- Triage, prioritise and resolve incidents in line with defined standards and SLAs,
- Actively progress stalled tickets e.g. incidents requiring customer feedback
Maintain, add and re-configure automated monitoring and alerting with the goal of pre-empting and avoiding incidents and outages.
- Provide the 1st and 2nd line support function.
- Troubleshoot issues as they arise, create wash up reports and suggest/implement changes to avoid future occurrences of the same issue
Knowledge & experience
- At least 2 years experience of helpdesk/support in a commercial environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Able to communicate technical issues to people with minimal technical knowledge in a way which can be understood.
- Self starter, motivated, extremely collaborative and a desire to go the extra mile to get the job done.
- Strong attention to detail with demonstrable time/workload management and problem solving skills
- Personable, enthusiastic and articulate
- Ability to manage competing priorities and keep stakeholders informed of progress
- Proven ability to differentiate when to take action independently or to partner as a team
- Extensive experience with incident and ticket management systems including configuring workflows and integrating to third party systems
- Magento admin panel and configuration knowledge.
- Experience of providing support to eCommerce customers
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to provide courteous employee support and updates to management/stakeholders
- Excellent verbal, telephone and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills for efficient problem diagnosis and resolution
- Versioning software – Git or similar
- Open source monitoring tools
- Usage of Linux server command line
- Have undertaken formal training in problem solving and decision making
- Experience of supporting Apple Macs
Understanding of IP based networking and networking equipment.