You are a talented UI Designer who wants to work at the forefront of digital design for eCommerce, working within a cross-functional, rapidly growing Commerce Experience team to design interfaces which improve user experience and ultimately increase conversion. You are passionate, driven, a self starter and want to continually improve and take on new challenges.
You create simple, beautiful & intuitive user interfaces that will provide leading commerce experiences. You are a great communicator and are passionate about eCommerce and will lead the execution of online visual identity, work efficiently and utilise best practices for conversion-led design for transactional websites.
You have experience working with design systems and pattern/component libraries contributing to a consistent, scalable design language. You will have an understanding of user-centred design best practices, conversion design and accessibility principles.
Your work will be of the highest standard and resonate with customer aspirations, in keeping with the requirements and eCommerce landscape.
You can demonstrate your creativity, problem solving and design experience with real life examples from your experience working at a digital agency..
This role will be an essential part of a growing remote team that brings our customer solutions to life. You’re keen to offer creative solutions to everyday working challenges. You’re eager to learn more, push for smarter ways of doing things, and are a team player. You’re proud of your work, enjoy sharing it, and happy to take onboard client feedback with a positive attitude.
Here’s some of the stuff that will keep you busy in a typical week:
You will work within our Commerce Experience Design team on a range of digital projects to enhance and streamline the User Experience on our customers websites. You will work closely with our UX designers to support their efforts and incorporate their feedback in your own work – what you design must be equally usable and beautiful.
Your day to day will include producing and delivering consistent, user focused, mobile first designs across multiple breakpoints, by creating high quality responsive designs concepts and prototypes that accurately reflect a design language or brand guideline.
You’ll need to be able to take design briefs and interact with developers and customer stakeholders to understand, define and deliver seamless commerce experiences.
This role will provide you with an opportunity to gain insight into marketing strategies and learn about the latest technology.
You will be happy working from home and having regular remote project catch ups via video call.
If you read this and it sounds like your ideal job — we want you on the team!
What You’ll Be Doing
The following should give you an idea of how you’ll be expected to typically be spending your time. It’s not set in stone and it may change from week-to-week, but it gives an idea of what is expected from the role
Designing immersive commerce experiences (70%)
You will be involved in collaborative discovery workshops (design, problem definition, ideation and requirements gathering), work closely with product owners and developers to understand business drivers and ensure a user focused approach from concept through to launch. You will be assigned as the lead designer on set projects and will be responsible for creating all the designs required inline with user and business needs.
You will work closely with our UX designers and take their outputs to create beautiful interactive designs. You will establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and standards to ensure functional and visual consistency. You will ensure effective handovers to the development teams and ensure visual consistency is executed throughout all key user journeys, edge cases and visitor scenarios.
You have the willingness to listen to customer and peer feedback and use it to improve.
You will work closely with the Commerce Experience team to provide ongoing support to our customer base inline with their ever changing project, user and marketing needs. You will work with the CX team to analyse user interface problems and create on-brand design solutions that bridge user and business goals.
Supporting Internal Marketing (20%)
You will work closely with our content marketer to build out and execute the Space 48 brand and create digital marketing assets such as banners and landing pages. You will be responsible for creating product visuals for the website content (blog posts, whitepapers, case studies, podcasts, video, email) and help keep the website fresh and engaging. Likewise, support with visuals for social media marketing and general content.
Social Campaign Content Design (10%)
You will support digital marketing projects throughout the execution of campaigns and projects.
You will create digital assets and content experiences for our customers for mobile and website, social media story-telling, and online support materials spanning the 360 consumer journey.
Location and Remuneration
This is a fully remote position, however preference will be given to candidates based in Europe.
Salary based on experience.
Our Mission, Vision & Values
Our Mission is to create more human and compelling ecommerce experiences.
Our Vision is to provide our customers with standout service and support, and lead change in our industry
Our Values are:
- We work together
- We take ownership
- We thrive when we learn
- We go beyond
- We do the right thing.
But what does all of this mean?
Our mission, vision and values are guiding principles which give us clear focus and direction. They
help us to learn, to grow and to succeed, both individually and together as a group.
The outcome of 41 hours of meetings, workshops and focus groups; countless decisions and discussions, our MVV are special because they were created by our team for our team. They reflect where we want Space 48 to go, how we want it to get there and how the culture and environment should feel along the way.
We don’t want it to just end up as ‘words on a wall’ though and we need to work together to keep the momentum going and bring it all to life. It doesn’t matter what your role is, everybody has an important part to play. Maintaining our positive, collaborative culture is really important and if you’re invited for an interview, we’ll be looking for evidence that you’ll be a good fit – not just from a skills perspective, but from a cultural and values perspective as well.
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and standards to ensure functional and visual consistency
- Understanding of fundamental design principles such as typography, colour, iconography, alignment, use of grids, proximity and page layout with excellent attention to detail
- Strong organisational skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills making sure that tickets are kept updated and the project manager/team know the status of design deliverables at all times
- Develop mockups and interactive prototypes around customer needs that clearly illustrate how sites function and look
- Design of promotional and editorial landing pages in line with brand guidelines & UX design principles.
- Complete regular design and frontend interaction quality reviews with the development team and support throughout project builds
- Collaborate with the CX team and developers and help to create unified Design Systems for customers that can be used for collaboration and to establish a smoother handover to development after design sign off. Inclusive of Design Style Guide / UI Component Library /Icons etc..
- Keep abreast of UX and UI trends, other products and industry trends
- Stay up to date with the ecommerce platforms and partners we work with and have an awareness of limitations and impacts to overall project costs before presenting design ideas to customers
- Strong communication and presentation skills; an ability to articulate and discuss your design decisions with internal stakeholders
- Help drive the strategic direction of UX/UI within Space 48, collaborating with internal teams to deliver best in class digital products, whilst incorporating brand aesthetics.
The following are the types of tasks that you may be required to perform as part of your role.
- Produce fresh, modern and attractive digital designs that create a sense of interaction and flow
- Advise and guide customers on the best features and functionality to enhance the user journey. Constructively challenge customer ideas if necessary, and to suggest better, more workable solutions.
- Facilitate discovery workshops and design sprints with key stakeholders
- Work with product owners and front end engineers to handover your designs and prototypes. Create supporting documentation such as IA diagrams, workflows and wireframes, where appropriate.
- Complete regular design and frontend interaction quality reviews with the development team and support throughout project builds to ensure the execution of designs and features meet requirements across various user journey personas before handovers to customers
- Create templates for content managed banners and components that can be utilised by online merchandisers and the wider business.
- Work with the Head of CX and UX / UI designers on the strategic direction of UX/UI within Space 48
Who You Are
Here’s an idea of the type of experience you’ve got along with an idea of what we think would be useful to also know:
Knowledge and Experience
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- 2+ years’ experience in a retail business, ecommerce or design agency, ideally working with large retail brands.
- Proficient with prototyping tools, like Sketch.
- A full understanding of grid systems and how CSS frameworks work. (Experience with CSS Grid would be preferential)
- Understanding of image optimisation, and the ability to demonstrate how the website will animate/function
- Experience in software development, especially front end
- Knowledge of common design patterns
- Solid understanding of the relationship between UX/UI and SEO and accessibility.
- Experience using project management tools, such as JIRA
- Compelling portfolio that demonstrates high quality ecommerce design
- Experience establishing design systems or creating digital pattern libraries and style guides
- Extremely organised and experienced in working to tight deadlines with the ability to manage multiple workstreams, working with customers and our internal delivery teams.
- Strong project and people management skills – You can communicate clearly, confidently and persuasively, using sound rationale to reinforce your views and decisions, and influence people at all levels
- Desirable Knowledge and Experience
- Experience designing for leading ecommerce platforms such as, Magento 2, Shopify Plus, BigCommerce, Commerce Tools, Shopware
- Experience working with CMS platforms such as Styla, Shogun, Contentful, BloomReach
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Video and animation creation
- Understanding of conversion metrics, and how designs contribute to performance
- Degree qualification or equivalent an advantage but not necessary
- Must be able to present at a very senior level
- Experience designing for B2B ecommerce
- Experience working in an agile/scrum environment
No more of the same. Get more out of your employment.
- Enjoy 22 days of holiday plus bank holidays
- Relax and take your birthday off
- Stay loyal and get an extra holiday for every year worked
- Traffic bad? No worries with flexible working hours
- On-going training to keep you going
- Health scheme (after 1 year) to keep you on top of your game
- Optical care vouchers. Because we all stare at the screen for too long.
- We got you. Opt-in to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Think about your future with the Company Pension