The importance of security updates
Why are security updates so important?
In today’s online connected world, it’s more important than ever to keep up-to-date with security patches. Whether they are for your computer, laptop or your personal devices it’s always best practice to apply them as soon as you can.
Patches and security updates are even more important for a website, especially if your business is eCommerce. Your website is your brand, business and first port of call for your customers. If it’s not safe and secure the effects could be permanently damaging for your business. Trust with your customers may be lost and valuable business relationships could be broken.
An unprotected website is a security risk for you, your customers, and the online community as a whole.
Your website could be compromised in a number of ways:
- Injection of malware which could severely impact your SEO and online presence.
- Stealing customer information such as names & email addresses.
- Stealing credit card numbers or other transactional information.
- Adding the site to a botnet with other compromised websites/servers.
- Crash or take down the website completely.
Applying the latest security updates can:
- Ensure security
- Fix bugs
- Add functionality & features
- Improve browser compatibility
- Improve the speed of your site
Updates are easy to apply and shouldn’t cause any downtime for you or your users.
Your site should be developed in such a way that core updates can be applied without you losing any custom functionality, themes or features.
1. Do not modify the core!
2. Stay current and subscribe to any blogs or newsletters that inform you of your updates.
3. Speak with your digital agency or hosting provider today to make sure your site is up to date!<?p>