Magento Backend Developer
You are a developer in our Magento delivery team focusing on delivering backend Magento functionality.
Here’s what your week may look like:
You start your day in a team Stand Up discussing progress you made yesterday, listening to your team members describe their current issues and dropping some knowledge bombs on how you “solved this last time”. You’re working from home, so you pay the pet tax and encourage your four-legged-friend to wave to the camera before logging off.
First up you’ve got a pair-programming session with a Junior Developer in your team to help them through a tough integration that they’ve been working on. They’ve been steadily improving under your experienced wing and are turning into a really productive team member.
After lunch you’ll set your Slack status and turn on Do Not Disturb for a couple of hours while you debug a weird issue with a customer’s site. There’s been a change to the estimated delivery day logic recently to support new shipping options. You update your unit test suite to cover this unexpected scenario and tell the Project Manager the good news! You push your feature branch to Bitbucket and watch Bitbucket Pipelines build your artefact and prove that your tests pass.
Your JIRA issue has automatically transitioned to “In Code Review” and you open your pull request, studying your diff carefully before assigning it to your team mate for a sanity check.
Tomorrow (assuming all is well!) you’ll merge your pull request into a release branch and let Pipelines deploy it to Staging where it will be regression tested by the QA Team and their bank of automated tests. It should be out to Production by the end of the week, providing we can get through the testing and get client sign off by 2pm on Thursday.
If you read this and it sounds like your ideal job — we want you on the team!
What You’ll Be Doing
The following should give you an idea of how you’ll be expected to typically be spending your time. It’s not set in stone and it may change from week-to-week, but it gives an idea of what is expected from the role.
Software Delivery (90%)
You’ll be spending the majority of your time working on delivering projects for our customers with your team. You’ll be building Magento, integrations and working with the design and CX team to bring our customers requirements to life!
You’ll work with the Practice Lead to progress our platform specific goals and build out tools and products to make sure we’re constantly improving on how we work.
Depending on your experience, a portion of this time is expected to be spent assisting other team members in delivering their work effectively.
Personal Development (10%)
Keeping up with new software releases, development practices, horror stories and post mortems are an essential part of any Software Developer’s time! Use this time to push forward your objectives and research tools and techniques you need to stay productive.
Who you’ll be joining.
You’ll be part of an acclaimed group of people who, first and foremost, care about the quality of code. Our team are proud of their work and show empathy when things go wrong.
When they do we take ownership, we work together, and we learn.
It’s in our culture to make sure things are done right. And we go beyond to make sure they do.
Who You Are
- Magento 2
- CSS and related preprocessors
- Experience integrating with relational databases (e.g. Postgres, MySQL)
- Working with third-party REST and GraphQL APIs
- Experience of the full software lifecycle
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Advanced experience working with Git
- Advanced knowledge of the HTTP and H2 protocols
- Advanced knowledge of web application security
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 2 years of development experience working in a development team within a commercial environment
- Experience dealing directly with non-technical stakeholders
- Highly motivated with demonstrable technical and analytical skills
- Desire to further technical skills and knowledge
- Attention to detail, commitment and desire to complete a consistently high standard of work
- Advanced time management skills with the ability to manage own tasks to agreed timelines with limited supervision
- Able to clearly communicate complex design and development decisions
- Advanced knowledge of best practice and architecture for complex web applications
- Advanced knowledge of and able to avoid common security issues in web applications
- Able to articulate complex technical solutions with minimal assistance
- Able to design and build complex technical solutions with minimal assistance
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working with Docker
- Experience with Systems Administration and DevOps
- Experience with FaaS platforms
- Experience with one or more Ecommerce platform (Magento 1.x, Shopware, Shopify, BigCommerce, CommerceTools, etc)
- Experience with one or more popular Node framework (e.g. Nest, Koa, Express, Hapi)
- Experience integrating with NoSQL data stores (e.g. Cosmo, Mongo, Firestore, Dynamo)
- Experience with one or more PaaS cloud providers
- Experience with APIs that implement HATEOAS+HAL
- Atlassian Suite (Jira, Confluence, BitBucket)
- Experience with PCI compliance
- Experience working with servers over SSH
Knowledge and Experience
- A Magento 2 Certification
- At least 1 years software development experience on an ecommerce platform
- Experience of people management in a fast-paced development environment
- Managing tasks and timelines of a development team, within a commercial environment
No more of the same. Get more out of your employment.
- Enjoy 22 days of holiday plus bank holidays
- Relax and take your birthday off
- Stay loyal and get an extra holiday for every year worked
- Traffic bad? No worries with flexible working hours
- On-going training to keep you going
- Health scheme (after 1 year) to keep you on top of your game
- Optical care vouchers. Because we all stare at the screen for too long.
- We got you. Opt-in to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Think about your future with the Company Pension